UFT (Unified Functional Testing) is widely used by many IT MNC’s for automation testing purpose. It is a functional test automation software. It is capable of intelligent test automation for web, mobile, API, hybrid, RPA and enterprise Apps.
It is a licensed software by HP. Anyone interested in learning UFT, can download the trial version which can be used up-to 60 days, after which a license is required which can be bought from HP site. The trial version works on a system where UFT demo version is not installed before.
The first question that arises in mind is ‘Why use UFT for automation when there are so many cheaper or free tools available online?’. Yes, this is absolutely a valid question. But, there are convincing answers in favor of UFT. Few are mentioned below:
1. Few open source automation tools like Selenium targets only Web and Mobile platforms whereas QTP provides support for many platforms including SAP, .NET, Java, Web Services, Windows and Web.
2. Publishers of commercial license software are bound to provide technical support and have SLA to resolve issues, whereas majority of the open source applications have only community support.
3. UFT integrates well with its Test Management tool: HP Quality Centre. The Business Process Testing framework provided by QTP and QC is an excellent framework. It takes care of input / output parameters, test iterations, components and test execution; thereby reducing the effort to write code for these activities.
4. There’s a native support for automating Microsoft Excel and Outlook through COM and VBScript. Microsoft Excel is used by business people and manual testers to provide input data, to control execution flow and to log execution results. Manual testers find Excel as the most effective, simple and efficient method to provide input data.
5. UFT uses VBScript which is easier to learn for beginners. And, it comes with an in-built IDE which is easy to use.
6. Automation code maintenance is a real challenge when the AUT is being developed incrementally. Object properties may keep changing and maintaining the automation code turns to be a nightmare. UFT has Object Repository which makes it easier to modify object properties.
UFT Testing Process
As depicted in above figure, under testing process of UFT, there are just 3 stages which are pretty simple for any new learner to understand and implement:
1. Design Object Repository
When an application is being automated by UFT, we first learn the application through its objects. We create the Object Repository (OR) using either the UFT’s built-in facility- Object Repository Manager (which handles shared objects that can be used across multiple test scripts) or by using excel to define the objects and its properties.
After learning the objects, scripting can be easily done by pulling the objects (either by drag-and-drop or by writing the object hierarchy explicitly) into the expert view of UFT, hence creating the script. In cases of run-time objects or when object properties are not stable, we can make use of Descriptive Programming to define the object properties during execution.
After the scripting is complete, we can check its veracity by either executing the script in debug mode (running line by line) or in normal mode. Run report is generated after execution is completed which is used to analyze the execution step-by-step or the failure cause in case of any failures.
Hence we can conclude that UFT has all the required qualities to be identified as one of the best automation tools to be used across the globe by testers to automate their applications.
UFT can be downloaded from below URL: